Confession: I’ve blogged about these muffins already. No use in hiding it since you might go back and see the double repeat.
Yes, it’s a forbidden act under the food-blogging rules.
But I re-made them, took much better photos, and just had to share them with you. I’ve learnt so much over the past year of blogging and so I changed a few things and techniques.
I love blueberries. I almost made blueberry waffles this morning but, decided to do a grilled cheese sandwich instead…(then attempted to justify my laziness by saying I would be baking later on and didn’t want to intake too much flour…yeah right).
This is the recipe that made me love blueberries. I’ve used it several times and I’m still in love with it. Packed with delicious blueberries and a lemon based cupcake batter it’s a great contrast. My favourite part is sprinkling sugar on top for a perfect crunch when biting into the muffins.
Well, 2nd favourite part. My favourite part is eating them, obviously.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt (I used regular salt)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (If frozen remember, don’t let it thaw first)
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 1 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour and sift the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the milk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a muffin tin with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Distribute batter among muffin holes — to the rim with batter. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. Let muffins cool in pan for 7 (yes, exactly 7) minutes before serving. – I did around 7 minutes, honestly don’t think it matters if you give or take 5 minutes. I love eating them hot!