Italian-Style Stuffed French Toast takes a delicious twist on classic French toast and is stuffed with ricotta, spinach and slathered with marinara sauce for an amazing breakfast for dinner meal!
For the first time (finally) I am joining in on Pass the Cook Book Club’s monthly cookbook pick. Pass the Cook Book Club is an amazing cook book club that I’ve had the privilege of being a part of for two months now whose motto is “Dust off those unused cookbooks as once a month we post and share recipes from a randomly selected book.
Every month, members create recipes from a selection from the cookbook of the month, and always produce delectable looking pictures of the already amazing recipes. This month’s cookbook is Breakfast for Dinner by Lindsay Landis and Taylor Hackbarth of Love & Olive Oil, chosen by our lovely host, Erin from The Spiffy Cookie. I decided to make their Italian-Style Stuffed French Toast.
To say this stuffed french toast was divine would be an understatement. I know I was everything is packed with flavour, but really, cooked down spinach, ricotta and parmesan cheese, lemon zest and fresh herbs for the filling alone?! My mouth was watering from just making it and was totally satisfied with just one bite. I took a piece before shooting and ending up devouring that entire piece. I love that garlic powder is added into the coating for the bread and the flavour is subtle but lends greatly to the savoury twist of this french toast. I have to say, Lindsay and Taylor hit the jackpot on this recipe AND the entire cookbook.
This is a recipe that not only would I make again, but will be in my regular dinner rotation for quite a while. I think the marinara sauce on top was an ingenious addition since it compliments the ricotta perfectly. Since I’m already such a huge breakfast for dinner fan, this is definitely a winner in my book.
While you’re entering, I’ll go back to finishing up this french toast. It’s literally calling my name. Trust me, you’re going to need this cookbook.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups (6 oz.) loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into eight 1-1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 cups marinara sauce, warmed
- For the filling: In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Let cool then coarsely chop.
- In a small bowl, combine chopped spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest, basil, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using a small serrated knife, cut a horizontal pocket in the side of each slice of bread. Gently fill with 1-2 tablespoons on filling and press closed.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and garlic powder.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat add one tablespoon of oil. Working with one slice at a time, dip into egg mixture, flipping to coat both sides. Place in pan with the hot oil. Repeat with 2-3 more slices without overloading the pan. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices, adding more oil as needed.
- Transfer to plates, spoon warm marinara over top, and serve.
If you loved this Italian-Style Stuffed French Toast, you’ll also love this Chicken Bruschetta Pasta Skillet!
You’ll also enjoy this Italian Lemon Chicken!
Try this Homemade Sundried Tomatoes Bruschetta!
Check out all my dinner recipes!